Friday, February 20, 2009

PHANTOM PLANET TOUR JOURNAL

Word. I've been wanting to do something like this for quite a while now. I am starting this post now, un-stoned, and am not sure if it will be one post or many. We will see in a few minutes, but here it comes...

This tour journal has a prologue kind of. I'll start there.

Back in April of 2008 I was living in Tallahassee, hating life, getting drunk, being an idiot, and getting really fat. It was fun, but still sucked. My parents had asked me if I wanted to go to Mexico with them and naturally, I said yes. I ended getting realy drunk and meeting a girl named Bianca who was from Tampa, meeting a bunch of people my father works with who offered me jobs kind of, and the idea of moving back to Tampa came up. I decided to do so. When I got there, it was just as shitty as I remembered and I went back to working at Sound Exchange of Brandon. Long story short, I decided to join the military, the Air Force, but was saved at the last second by Kevin, Phantom Planets manager. He called and asked if I would be down to be their guitar tech on a six week tour of the US and Canada. And so, I did.

The tour began September 9, 2008 in Phoenix, AZ.  I kept an actual journal of events until around the twentieth day of the tour. I will type exactly what I wrote there with some commentary, and then just go off of memory. I feel like Henry Rollins. You know...Get In The Van style.
Photobucket
DAY ONE - SEPTEMBER 09, 2008 - Phoenix, AZ
"Here I am. In Phoenix. The desert. It is fucking hot. I am waiting for the Phantom Planet's to arrive at the Marquee. More later..."
I actually didn't get around to writing more later. Some of the things that stand out about that day are meeting up with the guys in Phantom Planet and thinking they were really nice guys, being fucked up from flying for ten hours after waking up at four in the morning, and walking around Phoenix by myself before trying to find a store that sold cigarettes. It was my first time in the desert. I was really impressed with just how different the Earth can look. I met all of the guys in all the other bands on the tour that day too (The Rocket Summer, The Morning Light, The Secret Handshake). 
Photobucket


Yeah...more later, I'll try to knock out a couple of days at a time, then compile them all at the end.

1 comment: